Sunday 8 November 2015

Autumnal Sunshine

“I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house."
 Nathaniel HawthorneThe American Notebooks
Rushmere Country Park
It's most definitely autumn here now. More leaves on the ground than on the trees and the cross country season is well and truly under way. Last weekend found me running around the muddy fields of Buckinghamshire clutching a plastic dog toy in the "Squeaky Bone" relay race. This weekend we drove over to Rushmere country park to run their inaugural parkrun event. Pouring  with rain galloping through gloriously boggy sticky mud and puddles it was my slowest 5k in a long time but great fun.
What you need when you come back from your run is a hot bath and a  steaming bowl of warming carrot, honey and ginger soup. I will miss my Chef son when he goes back to France for the ski season but for now I'm enjoying his creations at home.

Another of the pleasures of autumn is to cosy up on the sofa (feeling virtuous after the exercise), listening to the rain pounding on the conservatory roof with yarn and crochet hook.  I had some WI soft and chunky wool from a trip to Hobby  Craft and used three balls to make this scarf/shawlette for my daughter in law to be.

With a 9mm hook it grew very quickly and was beautifully soft and warm. I finished it with a simple crochet flower button so it can be fastened if worn as a shawl and sewed on one of my new labels. I love how the light catches the silver thread and make my crafting look so much more professional. D. seemed very pleased with her gift and I hear that her mum didn't believe that I had made it myself because of the "designer label".
  Sylvia x

No comments:

Post a Comment